Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ohh, It's Gettin Hot In Here Alright



Its been happening everywhere

The craze even hit American University's main quad just last year

What is it you ask?....Flash Mobs

When looking at the video clips from 24 Flash Mobs You Need to See to Believe, it made me realize how much planning and coordination it took to organize the one at American University. On top of that, the ones at Grand Central and Trafalgar Square were at a larger scale. Making hundreds of people freeze and unfreeze at the exact time is not as easy at it sounds.
Last year's flash mob at American University was organized through Facebook. It's interesting what social networking sites are used for these days.

The next and more serious article I read, Rise and Rise of the GPS Mobile, was talked about smartphones and GPS enabled phones. I agree with the article about the pros of GPS on phones, but i felt as if the cons weren't stressed enough. There already has been issues with the FBI tapping cell phones and listen into every conversation and cell phone user has even when the phone is off, but now there is another security issue on the table about the precise location of all phone users at all times.

I feel like one of those kids that have GPS chips implanted in him so when I get lost my Mommy can find me. It's kind of sick. I'm all about privacy and making sure I have the right. I don't want everyone knowing what I'm up to, or what I'm talking about. My private life isn't Facebook for the whole world to see.

What do you think?

Until next week. CHANDOO OUT!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the current security and privacy issues that are present in Internet social networks will be experienced on mobile social networks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever happen to your right to privacy. I'm all for privacy and I agree with you. If the cons were stressed as much as the pros then I think people's reactions or preferences would differ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the bad things that are associated with GPS surveillance but I think if users have the ability to opt out of GPS usage it would be eliminate the problems people have with using phones.

    ReplyDelete