Saturday, February 27, 2010

Avatar...And I'm Not Talking About the Movie


NICE CRIB!

Has anyone actually looked into this new technology before?... It's called "Second Life"


It takes the whole idea of Sims to a whole new level. In the article, Virtual World, Real Money in 'Second Life', the author states that the ability to perform any task is endless. It mentions how you can earn REAL money by trading products and services in VIRTUAL world. The article also mentions how professors can use an innovative tool such as Second Life to provide lessons and field trips from the location of one's computer desk. How cool is that?!

The second article I happened to read was a transcript of an interview, Firms Seek Elusive Real Profit in Virtual Business. I understand that one can use services and buy things in the Second Life world by paying real money, but I couldn't help but think how odd it is to "live" in Second Life. Everything is based in a virtual reality, so how could it possibly effect me in the real world? I can see why it would be used for education purposes.

That's all for this week

Stay tuned...CHANDOO OUT!



Picture

3 comments:

  1. Everything is becoming more impersonal. The chemistry and bonding among people like feelings and intangible stuff can only be experience in person. There are definitely limitations in adopting these technological breakthroughs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing because there are "real" people who allow their lives to be taken over by Second Life. I guess if I was physically challenged or unable to experience certain things in life the "Second Life" would be my life. But to answer your question...Second Life does affect you in the real world especially when you spend real money. I just can't comprehend how anyone can spend their cash on virtual things that really don't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that the title says it all. Second Life allows it's players to do just that, play in an virtual reality while assuming the role of whomever the player chooses and live a virtual life. At my old job, I knew a woman who played SL actively, she would tell me about all her ventures and conversations with her friends. She tried to get me to play, but I declined. I don't why she played so much, maybe she got a kick out of the thrill of the game, or perhaps she wasn't happy with the life she was living.

    ReplyDelete